The new major version R20 of Cinema 4D has been officially released.
Check out the new features of Cinema 4D R20 on maxon.net.
This time there are some major changes to the SDK:
- C++ SDK comes with changed workflows and the new MAXON API (see blow)
- Python SDK got extended by the new features and provides a nicer workflow via c4dpy
- C.O.F.F.E.E. has been removed completely.
Python plugins and scripts should still continue to work (with minor exceptions).
Documentation and Downloads
- Browse C++ SDK Documentation Online
- List of C++ API changes
- Download HTML format
- Download Windows HTML help format
- The latest Project Tool can be found on Downloads page
- Browse Python SDK Documentation Online
- List of Python API changes
- Download HTML format
- The latest c4dpy can be found on Downloads page
Currently we are planning a DevKitchen embedded into the Cinema 4D SuperMeet 2018 in Frankfurt on November 1st and 2nd.
This will be a great opportunity for plugin developers to get informed about the SDK changes in Cinema 4D R20 and directly discuss with the MAXON’s SDK Team.
There is also the chance to present your plugins at the SuperMeet, please contact us separately via mail to email@example.com, if interested.
Please take a look at the announcement.
We will need a certain number of non-binding pre-registrations until September, 16th for the DevKitchen to happen.
New Support Forum
The new official developer support forum is now online at plugincafe.maxon.net. Please create a new account and use this forum for all future support requests and discussions on Cinema 4D plugin development.
- General information and announcements are found in the “Forum Information & Resources” subforum.
- Questions on Cinema 4D plugin development are discussed in the “Plugin Development” subforum.
- Questions on how to use the Melange library are discussed in the “Melange Development” subforum.
- General questions on programming and development business are welcome in the “General Programming & Plugin Discussions” subforum.
Please make yourself familiar with the rules and procedures in this new forum as described in these threads:
As before, the forum can be used to create new unique plugin IDs. The IDs are created and listed on the “Plugin ID” page.
If you have a user account in the existing support forum, please access your account and store your plugin IDs locally.
New Documentation Online
The documentation of the Cinema 4D R20 C++ SDK is now online. This documentation includes manuals about the new API as well as information on how to port older plugins to the new SDK.
General information on API changes and plugin development is presented on these pages:
- Changes in R20
- SDK Overview
- Getting Started: Introduction.html
- Plugin Development
- Development for Microsoft Windows
- Development for macOS
Information on how to adapt existing plugins can be found on these pages:
The Python documentation has been updated and extended, too.
Project Tool Available
The Project Tool is used to create the necessary project files for Microsoft Visual Studio and Apple Xcode. The tool can be obtained from the Downloads page.
More information on the Project Tool can be found in the documentation: Project Tool.
The c4dpy executable can be used as a Python interpreter in conjunction with various IDEs. The latest version is available on the Downloads page.
Example on GitHub
The examples on GitHub have been updated (well, actually by the time of writing this post the update was not complete, yet. The update will follow asap within the next days). All C++ example code can now be found in one repository.
The new repository contains these examples: